October 24

Transitions

I sit here gazing out at my vegetable garden, contemplating my next few steps in transitioning it and then me, to the next season.  Much of the back breaking work out there would have been completed by now, but with the unseasonably warm weather, I held off. I was still getting tomatoes, peppers, kale and the odd bunch of broccoli until this week.  But as much as I hesitate to tear it all down, I know that I must move on.

To this I turn to Robert Frost in his poem, Nothing Gold Can Stay

Nature's first green is gold
Her hardest hue to hold
Her early leaf's a flower
But only so an hour
Then lead subsides to leaf
So Eden sank to grief
So dawn goes down to day
Nothing gold can stay.



Set up for All Poses in Class this week
Belly Down Twist (on blankets)

Props: at least 4 blankets, neck roll

Benefits: chest and hip opener, massages the organs in twist, opens the side body. Comforting.


Fold 2-3 blankets in rectangle shape and stack one on top of each other in a step formation.  Place right hip at lower end of bolster and on an inhale, lengthen the spine while lowering the body towards the bolster, gently turn your belly towards the bolster. Bend knees and stack legs. Arms rest by your side.  Begin with conscious breathing to settle into the pose and as sensations rise and fall, adjust your breath. Relax the weight of your body into the supports.


Reclined Goddess

Props: 2 blocks, 2 blankets, neck roll
Benefits: opens the hips and groin facilitating blood and energy flow to the urinary tract and reproductive organs. Opens the chest and abdomen benefiting breathing problems. Shoulders release their tension. 


Bring blocks to lowest height, place rolled up blanket on top of blocks, smooth any wrinkles.  Two longer blankets folded in half go lengthwise on mat. Fold top blanket down for head pillow.  Sit between blocks and long blankets and put legs over blocks, soles of the feet together.

Labels: ,